Restore, Rehabilitate, Reintegrate
Pilates is a mind-body conditioning exercise regime that works on strengthening and stabilising the deep postural muscles of the abdomen, back and pelvic floor muscles, helping to provide stability to the spine in particular, which in turn helps to re-educate and correct postural and muscle imbalances in the rest of the body.
Some of the wide range of benefits of Pilates include
- Improved flexibility
- Increased muscle strength, conditioning, stability and tone
- Improved posture, with improved spinal stability
- Improved skill; co-ordination and balance
- Reduced risk of musculoskeletal injury because of more adaptable body systems
- Improved breathing techniques, therefore more energy.
- Reduced tension in muscles leading to less pain and restriction.
- Improved body awareness, focus and concentration.
Suzy creates individualised exercise regimes that a person can then continue with at home and then will return for review, modification and progression of their regime. The mind and body are brought together to achieve these aims through the following principles: concentration, centring, breathing, isolation, routine, precision, control and flowing movement. Suzy trained with the Australian Physiotherapy and Pilates Institute (www.appihealthgroup.com)
Suzy may use a biofeedback machine to help support a person engaging with finding their core muscles. This can be borrowed to help support the home program.